Mayor-elect Liton draws flak from party men

Rajshahi mayor-elect AHM Khairuzzaman Liton, an Awami League leader, drew flak from his party men at a reception in the city yesterday evening as he said he was mayor of all and wanted to serve all citizens irrespective of political ideologies.After election on Wednesday, Liton told the media that he wanted to rise above his political identity, remove politicisation of the city corporation administration and serve all citizens alike.Retorting to his remarks, central Awami League adviser Prof Abdul Khaleque said at the reception yesterday, “Winning the election with Awami League support, Liton should not be courageous enough to say about rising above party politics”.Prof Khaleque, also a former vice-chancellor of Rajshahi University, said, “Liton once told me you are in the chair (of vice chancellor) as Awami League is in power. In the same way, I want to remind him that he won the election on Awami League support”.In reply, Liton however said he would never forget contributions of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, his father and national leader AHM Quamaruzzaman and Awami league.“My political ideologies are in my blood. I can't forget it even if I am to step down”.“But, I got vote of all people. I bagged 98,360 votes against an Awami League vote bank of some 55,000. I must honour the rest voters who have reposed their confidence on me”, Liton said.Rajshahi District Awami League general secretary Omar Faruk Chowdhury chaired the reception meeting held at Rajshahi Nagorik Committee office where former minister Sarder Amzad Hossain was present, among others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Smugglers-BDR Affair on Barendra Express

JMB Patron Aminul Jailed; Dulu given 8 yrs RI for arson, looting; Justice delivered to Fazlu; JMB ruled supreme with their blessings; Extortion charges against Minu