Monday, February 15, 2010

Rajshahi cops blame it on RU

Monday, February 15, 2010

Refuting allegations against police administration, Rajshahi Metropolitan Police Commissioner Nawsher Ali yesterday blamed Rajshahi University authority for not playing its role to control February 9 campus violence that left one Chhatra League worker killed and about 100 people injured.

Nawsher Ali said the allegation should not fall on the shoulder of entire police administration as nine policemen already have been suspended for their negligence.

“Where were the proctors and halls' provosts during the attacks? If Dr Zoha (Martyr Shamsuzzoha) could brave Pakistani forces to save his students' lives, what the proctors and provosts did for their students. Even the VC himself did not come out of his home. Was it not their responsibility?” he asked.

Showing phone call lists Ali said the VC phoned him at 3:06 am but the incident of killing was already over.

Meanwhile, Shafiullah, an student injured in the attack, told The Daily Star that some 11 students, including Faruk, were confined to the television room of Shah Makhdum Hall at that night.

“We repeatedly requested for taking us out of the hall since 10:00pm on the day. The proctors and the hall provost visited us and asked to stay there with police. The policemen too assured us of saving our lives. But they did not save us when the attackers swooped on us.”

When contacted, RU Vice-chancellor Prof M Abdus Sobhan detracting from his earlier comments told The Daily Star yesterday that some newspapers misquoted him and "the allegation of police inactivity [during the campus violence] is untrue."

“We did not say that police were inactive. We just said that the incident was mysterious,” Sobhan said.

Quoting the VC's statement, several newspapers reported that police inaction led to the murder of Faruk Hossain and the police commissioner was not available over the phone as he was asleep during the violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment