Thursday, May 24, 2007

Autopsy report finds marks of torture

Killing in Rajshahi 'Rab Action'
Autopsy report finds marks of torture

Police yesterday submitted the autopsy report of Quamrul Islam Majnu, killed in a Rapid Action Battalion (Rab) action on May 18, to a Rajshahi metropolitan court that says injury marks were found on the victim's body.

"The death occurred due to hemorrhage resulted from injuries which are homicidal in nature," reads the report signed by a three-member medical board.

According to the report, nine injury marks including one in the stomach were found on Majnu's body.

The report corroborated the investigation report prepared by First Class Magistrate Jonendranath Sarkar on May 20 that also found innumerable torture marks on the victim's body.

Rajshahi Metropolitan Police (RMP) Deputy Commissioner Mahbubur Rahman said, "It has been proved in the report that it was a murder. Our next investigation will be to find out the killers."

Meanwhile, the five-member probe committee comprising Magistrate Jonendranath Sarkar and Asif Ansari, intelligence director of Rab headquarters, will submit its report on Saturday.

The victim's brother, Piarul Islam, in a case filed with Boalia Police Station alleged that Majnu was killed due to torture by Rab members and their associates at Chhotobongram Purbopara in Rajshahi town on May 18.

Majnu's family members demanded a judicial inquiry into the incident. They alleged that the investigation team talked neither to them nor the eyewitnesses. But they met some selected people of other areas.


Police's Role

However, local intelligence officials blamed police for playing mysterious role behind angry protests and incidents following the killing.


He informed, Majnu was a follower of local ward commissioner Moniruzzaman Sharif, who was recently detained by joint forces and later released on bail.


Another official said police, in an illegal move, recorded two separate cases in same incident.


Recording Zahurul Islam's kidnap case that detailed entire incident from kidnap of Baser Ali to death of Majnu, police recorded the murder complaint hours later.


Moreover, police in its own inquest report 'intentionally' mentioned 'no injury marks' on Majnu's body, he said.


RMP deputy commissioner Mahbubur Rahman refuted the said wrongs.


"We did not resist protestors for avoiding untoward situations that may damage government's image".


"The crowd and their protests had nothing in violation of state of emergency as those were not political...the protests were out of emotion and anger", he added.


"We recorded two separate cases, because, there are two incidents – kidnap and murder – in kidnap case dead Majnu was shown as accused", he explained.


No comments:

Post a Comment