Friday, July 20, 2007

60 get 84-yr in jail in Natore arms loot case

60 get 84-yr in jail in Natore arms loot case

A Natore court yesterday sentenced 60 people to 84 years imprisonment in two cases--Gurudaspur Police Station looting and murder of a cop during the incident--in Natore district in 1987.

Additional Sessions Judge Jebunnesa pronounced the judgment in a packed courtroom. The judge also fined the convicts Tk 20,000 each in the cases, in default they are to suffer another two years in jail.

Of the convicts, 46 were present in the court, six died during trial of the cases and the rest have been absconding.

Those present in the dock during delivering of the judgment are Ansar Ali Jasim, Saiful Tota, Aziz, Yunus, Abu Sayeed, Abed, Hatem, Motalib, Shahjahan, Abdul, Lutfar, Jhantu, Majid, Jonika, Rois, Akram, Omar, Laddu, Yunus, Aktar, Manik, Idris, Ismail, Bankes, Salam, Mannan, Reaz, Khoda Bux, Rashid, Mukul, Salam, Golam Rabbani, Jalal, Mojibor Rahman, Altaf, Kader, Amjad, Bakkar, Rafiq, Bhulon, Nazir, Nurul, Rahman, Faruk, Nurul and Shakhawat.

The 14 absconding accused are Sobhan, Zahangir, Lalu, Latif, Kamal, Nabir, Kader, Hamiduzzaman, Gopal Thakur, Shahid, Fazlu, Saiful, Amin and Yakub Pakhi.

The accused who died during the trial are Jalil, Enamul, Rustom, Sattar, Asgar and Ali.

In the police station looting case, the accused were given 52 years' jail under Section 3 of the Explosives Act of 1908 and under Section 4 of the same act.

The accused were also awarded another 32 years' imprisonment for killing a policeman during the looting.

According to the prosecution, a gang of armed criminals attacked Gurudaspur Police Station in Natore on February 24, 1987. They shot dead constable Habibur Rahman and took away three arrested persons, Abdus Sattar, Abed Ali, Abdul Hakim, breaking open the hajat.

The armed gang also looted 24 firearms and 1380 bullets from the police station and left the scene firing gunshots, blasting crackers and chanting slogans in favour of Purbo Banglar Communist Party.

Sub Inspector Wabaidul Haq lodged the two cases with the police station concerned 20 days after the incident.

During police investigation, three of the arrested accused gave judicial confession. But police failed to recover the looted arms and ammunition.

On November 15, 1990, Niranjan Chandra Saha, superintendent of CID police, submitted two separate charge sheets in the cases accusing 66 people.

In 1993, the case went to Natore District and Sessions Judge's Court for trial.

No comments:

Post a Comment