Thursday, May 8, 2008

Firearms looted from police recovered in Natore

Firearms looted from police recovered in Natore
All the five firearms looted from a police patrol team at Taherpur in Rajshahi were recovered from a pond at Munjalgachha of Naldanga upazila in Natore yesterday afternoon.

Police recovered one SMG and four Chinese rifles wrapped with polythene sheets from the pond some 1.5km west of Naldanga Police Station following confession of suspected outlaw Bachchu.

Earlier on Tuesday night, Natore Detective Branch of police assisted by a Special Branch police team from Dhaka used the latest mobile tracking technology to catch Bachchu alias Nishan from Kanpara of Hoybatpur.

Bachchu's arrest and the recovery of the firearms will help arrest others involved in the attack on the police patrol team on May 2, said a police official.

Following his arrest, Bachchu confessed to being involved with the outlaw team that attacked the police patrol team. He said after the attack they went to the pond and dumped the firearms into it.

A huge team of policemen went to the pond around 10:00am yesterday and found leaflets of the outfit on the bank of the pond. They pumped out water from the pond with a shallow engine and recovered the firearms in the afternoon.

A group of outlaws of the Lal Potaka faction of banned outfit Purbo Banglar Communist Party attacked the police patrol team on May 2, killing one policeman and injuring four others.

Outlaws have carried out some 12 attacks on police in the northern districts since independence, killing at least 12 law enforcers and looting 28 firearms in just four attacks in the last five and a half years.

This was the first incident of recovery of firearms looted by outlaws.

"We are happy but not satisfied yet. Our operation will continue until all the responsible persons are arrested," said Mokhlesur Rahman, Rajshahi divisional deputy inspector general of police who rushed to Naldanga following the recovery.

"Eliminating outlaws will take time and we have already devoted on this issue like curbing militancy," he said.
Dr Taher Murder
The verdict in the Rajshahi University teacher Dr Sheikh Taher Ahmed murder case will be delivered on May 22.

Rajshahi speedy trial tribunal fixed the date on Tuesday when the three-day argument between lawyers of state and accused sides concluded. The argument began on May 4.

Journalists are not allowed at the court room to follow the trial proceedings since the case was shifted to the speedy trial tribunal.

The sensational murder trial started on June 18 last year against six people, including RU teacher Dr Mia Mohammad Mohiuddin, and former RU Shibir president Mahbubul Alam Salehi.

Other accused are -- Jahangir, his brother Salam and brother-in-law Nazmul and Azimuddin Munshi.

Salehi and Mohiuddin of same department masterminded the killing promising hired killers with computers and jobs. Mohiuddin is on bail.

Dr Taher, a senior professor of geology and mining department, was killed on February 1, 2006 and his body was recovered from a sewer behind his campus residence three days later.

No comments:

Post a Comment